Friday, March 18, 2011

Birkebeinerrennet

Today marks the day before I participate in one of the most famous ski races in the world.  The infamous Birkebeiner is a 54k classic "marathon" race.  It starts in a town called Rena with a continuous, no breaks, 13k uphill.  After that, it is a series up rolling hills and a lot of flat for about 15k or so.  You may think "Wow, it must be downhill now!", but don't be confused... There is another challenging hill lasting for another 5 kilometers.  This 5k uphill has been described to me as the hill that separates the men from the boys.  It is very challenging, and marks the highest point on the course.  At this point you have climbed over 600 meters, however on this particular climb you go from 650  meters to 900.  There is a flat after this hill lasting for about 7k or so before the final decent lasting 15k to the finish in Lillehammer.

I am extremely excited to have the opportunity to race this event that every skier dreams about doing.  It is simply a must do as a cross country skier.  I will be starting in the 3rd heat of about 25 heats due to a pretty good finish in a 42k classic seeding race earlier this season.  I'm hoping to ski it in under 3:10.  The conditions call for minus degrees the whole race, sunshine, and there should be a ton of people spectating! My skis are ready, I am in great shape after junior national championships, and waxing conditions should be pretty simple for kick!

More later after the race! Time to stuff myself to maximum capacity with steak, rice, and veggies!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! Im jealous you got to watch world champs! I did the Birkebiener in Edmonton Canada a couple weeks ago! Following and supporting your blog!

    ReplyDelete